Friday, March 09, 2007

AR Rahman sang a duet song in Sivaji

 
"After `Vande Mataram' [his album] I stopped singing duets ... only spiritual and patriotic songs I decided. But again perceptions change, so I've sung `Tere Bina' [`Guru'] and a duet for `Sivaji' [Rajinikant's next]." You mention the range that was made discernibly tough for Hariharan in the `Vennilavae' song (`Minsara Kananvu'), and he smilingly nods. "When a tune gets approved such things happen. But it doesn't show in the cassette as it does when he sings live." Rahman's penchant for jazz chords comes out now and then. `Hey Goodbye Nanba' (`Aaidha Ezhuthu' â€" `Yuva' in Hindi) is an example. "True. I love jazz. But very few understand it. So whenever it's suitable I use the progression," he says. Hindustani is another choice genre. "I like listening to Kishore Amonkar, Hasu Patel and others. And the melodies of the 1960s fascinate me. At the same time the youngster in me digs rock and jazz," he laughs. M.S.Viswanathan is an all time favourite of Rahman. "A real master," he commends.
 


No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go
with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started.

No comments:

Blog Archive