Tuesday, May 22, 2007

'It can't get bigger or better than this'

Manish Malhotra has put Rajnikanth's designer look together for the forthcoming Sivaji.

HAVING worked his magic on all the leading stars of Bollywood for over a decade now, designer Manish Malhotra is lending his touch to southern superstar Rajnikant for his forthcoming movie Sivaji. "The south is very disciplined and cultured and I like working there. And when you have Shankar directing the film and Rajni Sir acting in it, it can't get bigger and better than that," says the designer.

Shankar had already shot for a song when he approached Manish to do the costumes for this movie, slated to be one of the biggest releases of the year. "I made Rajni Sir wear something really larger than life and colourful for the song that's shot in Spain. The rest of the wardrobe comprises fun, peppy casual clothes and some suits," says Manish.

He's attempted to strike a balance between going over-the-top with colours and keeping it simple: "There are scenes in which the look is very grand and elaborate, but I've also designed a few simple jeans and T shirts for him." It's a whole look Manish has put together for Sivaji, including the accessories for the film.

"I picked up some nice shoes for Rajni Sir. This apart, all the jackets used by him in the film have been tailored by me," explains the designer.

Manish has also worked with several south stars such as Sridevi, Vijayshanthi and Nagarjuna. "I also designed for Manisha Koirala and Urmila Matondkar for the film Hindustani. I don't know why the media dubs me only a Bollywood designer when I've worked for so many movies down south," he says.
 


Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.

No comments:

Blog Archive